Sunday, February 21, 2010

What to do now that I don't eat beef?

It took me over a year to realize that every time I ate red meat my stomach would cramp up and I'd be uncomfortable for about 12 hours. Answer = I gave it up. Not a big deal except my husband loves it and it limits variety for dinners. (Our son, thank goodness, pretty much eats anything so he's on board for whatever). So just this morning as we pondered our week's menu (yes, Alice and Craig, we pretty much do a weekly menu now!!), Ray said he was in the mood for meatballs., "Oh, but you don't eat beef." I immediately asked if he would eat turkey meatballs and because he has had several yummy experiences with turkey meatloaf, he agreed. I turned to Food Network.com and found a tremendously easy and delicious recipe for turkey meatballs- thank you Giada. I did the food shopping at 1:00, had lunch at 2:00 and the meatballs were done simmering by 3:00. And they are so good I had to share!

1 small onion, grated
3 garlic cloves
1 egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs
3 T ketchup (organic ketchup is great!!)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves (I used dried organic, just under 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup pecorino romano cheese (I bought an italian blend of the 2 cheeses and saved money)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 lb chopped turkey
3 T olive oil
jar of sauce (Miur Glen organic sauce is delicious)

Add onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, parsley, cheeses, salt, pepper in a bowl and blend.

THEN mix in the turkey. Roll into 1 1/4 inch balls. (makes 24 of them)

Heat oil over med-high heat and brown the meatballs for about 5 mins. (they stuck pretty good so Ray recommended putting them in the fridge for a little while before frying to help them stick together better).

Remove and then pour off excess oil.

Add jar of sauce and put the meatballs back in pan. Turn to med-low and simmer for 15-20 mins.

We are going to serve it tonight with whole wheat spaghetti for me and artichoke flour pasta for Ray, and likely both for Raymond, along with a mixed green salad.

Leftovers will be served on a roll for a meatball sub!!

No comments:

Post a Comment