Friday, May 7, 2010

Make this if you like Indian food

I have a little story to share about three things made separately that came together into an amazingly perfect meal as leftovers. I'm sharing, so others may put them together from the get-go.

Not too long ago we went to the farmer's market. I think it was actually the second week it was open for the season in early April. One of the farmers had cauliflower. We were a little stunned to see cauliflower in the Pacific Northwest in April. Turns out, she had planted it last fall and it had overwintered. So, it was a spring treat.

From this spring treat, I made curried cauliflower that turned out delicious and served it with something--I can't remember what.

During that same week, we planned to have a lamb stew. It was going to be layered with potatoes and simmer all day in the crock pot. But I forgot to plan ahead and didn't get the crock pot going in time. So, come dinner, I cut up the lamb shoulder and then looked in our Weber Charcoal Grilling book to see if there were any appropriate rubs. I found a recipe--Cumin-Mint Leg of Lamb that had a "paste" that I modified slightly. So that night we had delicious chunks of lamb served with other things that I now can't remember.

Another night during the same time frame I made a big pot of long-grain basmati rice to go with something that I now don't recall.

So, come the work week, it's lunchtime and I'm at my home office getting hungry. I throw the leftover rice, lamb and cauliflower together and heat them up. Before eating, I top with a couple dollops of plain yogurt. Honestly, it turned out to be the best Indian food I'd ever eaten.

Here's the full meal deal:

Cumin Lamb With Curried Cauliflower Over Rice

Lamb

If using bamboo skewers, soak for 20 minutes
Cut lamb shoulder into chunks for skewers (1-1.5 lbs)

In a small bowl mix together
2 t cumin
1 t pepper
3 large cloves garlic (pressed)
1 t salt
1 t oregano
2 T olive oil
1 T lemon juice

Rub mixture into lamb and let sit out 20-30 minutes before grilling.

Grill (ideally with charcoal) on high, direct heat for 7-8 minutes total, turning once during cooking.

Rice

2 c brown basmati rice
3 c water

Bring to boil then simmer for 30-40 minutes.


Cauliflower (taken from Jack Bishop's Vegetables Every Day)

1 1/2 T olive oil
1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 lbs, trimmed, cored, and cut into florets)
1 medium onion, halved and sliced thin
1 t curry powder
1/4 c plain yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup water
2 T minced fresh cilantro leaves
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper


Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cauliflower and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until florets are lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add the thinned yogurt, cover the pan, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until the florets are tender but still hold their shape, about 6 minutes. Stir in cilantro (or wait and put this over your combined dish of lamb, rice and cauliflower) and season with salt and pepper to taste.



Combine your lamb and cauliflower over rice and top with plain yogurt and cilantro.

Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment